Friday, August 3, 2012

The Cooling-Off Period

Now that I've had a chance to cool off for a couple of days (and gotten totally famous thanks to the MMO Melting Pot), I think I've come to grips with the TOR transition (or gone through the 5 stages of grief).  I'm in the acceptance stage right now; fully aware that there is absolutely nothing I can change about what happened and determined to soldier on.  I'd like to share with you my thoughts and inner struggle as I went through the stages of loss over the past two days.

Denial and Isolation

"No fucking way.  Not possible.  It's not even been a year yet.  Clearly, this EA financial call is a goddamn practical joke.  Those asshats at EA.  What cockholes."

Anger

"You cannot be SERIOUS.  Did those assholes really mean that?  How DARE they say that The Old Republic failed!  JACKWADS!  THIS IS THE BEST MMO, EVER!  CRAWL UP MY ASS AND LICK MY BUTTHOLE FROM THE INSIDE!"

Bargaining

"If only I had told more people about TOR.  If only I had trumpeted this game more, let more folks know.  I swear, Bioware, I will do more!  I will save this game!  Don't worry Daniel Erickson, I'll help you!"

Depression

"This is the end of TOR.  They will never, ever recover.  Ever.  This game is done and so am I.  I'm quitting MMOs altogether.  I literally have nothing left in the tank.  My MMO life is over."

Acceptance

"Well, maybe it won't be so bad."

So, at the end of the day I think I'm going to be 'ok' with TOR's F2P transition.  Just 'ok' though.  Not ecstatic.  Not happy.  Not depressed.  Just 'ok.'  I think it doesn't bode well for the type of game that I wanted, but I guess the game I wanted isn't what many MMO players wanted.  Change is a scary when you're as deeply invested in TOR as I am, but I really have no choice in this matter.

So what's my future in TOR?  I don't honestly know.  I play F2P games but not religiously.  It's not that I don't like the F2P model, it's just that I'm completely apathetic about it.  I don't care about it.  And I generally don't care about the games that are F2P.  I have a DDO and LOTRO account that I play sporadically.  I played Forsaken World too (briefly).  It's probably incorrect, but I view F2P games as a wrung below 'real games.'  It's a terrible prejudice to have, but I won't lie: I think F2P is reserved for games that either fail or were never good enough to be subscription MMOs.  Only time will tell if I change my viewpoint.

4 comments:

  1. You would have an awesomer time if you were raiding in my guild... I'm not worried too much specifically we pretty much stick in our guild bubble and don't socialize with the server at large. Except blog readers because I'm always like... wait you recognize me? You actually read my drivel? But other people can go to hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit that was me, Njessi. Your mobile site might be misbehaving.

      Delete
    2. I tried and you were all like, "LOL ur not srs we only liek spr srs radarz rofl" and then I was all like /sadpanda and then I ate a cookie.

      Delete
    3. Pft that's cause it was your messaround alt. We totally take people's mains as long as they want to do srs casual raiding. But we do not have cookies.

      Delete