Friday, August 24, 2012

Wars And/Or Guilds: The Second

So, like, apparently some game is headstarting today?  There are people excited about it.  I'm not.  Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great game with a beautiful visual style.  In fact, it looks exactly like the type of game I would love to play.

But I'm not going to.  Not yet.

Call it the 'TOR Effect.'  I simply cannot let myself get excited about another game.  Not for at least six months.  I guess I'm just so gun-shy of diving into yet another MMO after giving TOR as much love and attention as I could spare.  I've been following TOR developments since 2007 and the past few months have been pretty rough on me.

So yes, Guild Wars 2, you look interesting.  You look like fun.  Hell, maybe even one day I could play you.  But not right now.  I'm still too wounded, too raw.  Jesus, I sound like a Twilight character.

Anyhoo, I do plan on checking out Guild Wars 2 at some point, but I'll wait for the inevitable 6 month sale at Amazon.  They get to work the kinks out, I get a lower price, and I don't get emotionally crushed by my lofty expectations again.

Next week, I'll be posting my impressions of the Mists of Panderia beta.  And of course, I'll be reporting any and all Old Republic news that I can get a hold of!

**UPDATE: Of course, as I write this, there's some SWTOR news!  Looks like extra character slots are on the way.  I fully expect them to be part of either the F2P conversion or the huge HK-51/Cathar patch.**

4 comments:

  1. My guess is that the new character slots will be buyable items, like in Guild Wars 1. As long as they don't charge too much money for it I am completely okay with that. A new character slot in GW1 costs about 10€ if I remember correctly.

    Like you, I'll wait a few months before trying out GW2. I am currently unable to play much anyway (so, all the time I have goes to SWTOR), and I am also a bit burned by the vitriol some of the freshly-minted GW2-fanbois spewed all over every SWTOR-comments-thread they were able to get ahold of. I have absolutely no desire to become a member of a community that appears to be exclusively comprised of trolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The GW2 fanboy crowd is certainly pretty hostile. It seems like their one goal in life is to prove SWTOR is inferior to GW2 at all costs. I dunno, I just don't get it. I mean, I was pretty critical of WoW while promoting SWTOR but I never stated that I wanted it to crash and burn.

      Delete
    2. My best guess is that a lot of the trolls are among the loudly-unhappy-with the ME3 ending crowd and now they indiscriminately hate everything with the EA or Bioware seal. *shrugs*

      I was very disappointed with the ME3 ending, too, but the amount of pure hatred some people have makes me speechless most of the time.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the same boat, TG. Real hesitant to hop into another MMORPG at this point. I'll dabble in the new WoW expansion, sure, but mostly because that's where a majority of my friends still play. Several of them are trying GWII, but I don't want to jump in before they've all put down roots. Been burned too much in the past.

    I'm just fine with letting others explore new frontiers for now.

    ReplyDelete