Wednesday, October 10, 2012

TOR & WoW: The Balancing Act

Agent, where in the hell have you been?

Busy, Kaliyo.  You know how it is.

I most assuredly do not, agent.  Where's your gun?  And is that a ... rice ball?

I can explain, Kaliyo!

This'll be riveting.

So there's these bears that know martial arts ...

*SLAP*

Lock and load, agents!

I'm sure you can tell by now that my TOR posting has been a little ... uh ...sparse.  I'll freely admit it.  I'm not playing much TOR right now.  Oh, I checked out 1.4; the moods, the LFG tool travel fix (super nice), the new raid (the first 3 bosses; currently working on the 4th), etc etc.

And then I promptly logged off and went back to WoW.

It's a weird thing, you know.  I don't hate TOR.  I don't dislike TOR.  I'll be honest, there are a TON of things I love in TOR.  A TON.  I love to play it.

But shit, I've been playing it exclusively since July of last year (starting in beta).  Kinda burned out.  Sorta taking it easy.  There's not an incredible amount of new content out there for me to do.  That's not to say there isn't a lot of content out there ... just pretty much the same stuff we've had since launch.  Datacrons, flashpoints, companion affection grinding, and others.  Sure I could roll a new class if I wanted ... I've only got 2 50s and a 47, with others hanging in the 30s and 20s.  Sure I could go all-on on PVP, but ...

I've been playing TOR a long time.  Time for something a bit different.

Enter ursine martial arts.

It's not that WoW is better than TOR (it most definitely is not - I see them as pretty equal in fun factor).  It's that WoW right now, is different.  It's a different flavor of that delicious MMO ice cream that I love so much.  So I'll indulge myself for now on Pandaland and have some good ol' fashioned fun.  I'll eventually return to TOR simply because it has almost everything I want in a serious MMO ... just not right now.

Does that make sense?

4 comments:

  1. I find it a bit sad that it's come to a point where you feel the need to state that you don't hate TOR. o_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for my benefit. I already know what I like and don't like, but the general internet tends to take the approach that 'if you don't play a game right this second then you must hate it!' Also, most MMO players are incapable of liking two MMOs at once ... it's some sort of unwritten MMO rule or something. You're either a WoW fanboy or a TOR fanboy or a TSW fanboy or a GW2 fanboy. It's frustrating.

      Delete
  2. Hehe, makes sense to me . . . I confess I have a WoW trial account, just for those moments when I need to see the brightly colored cartoon-y world I lived in for so many years. Recently I did log in and play the panda starting zone, just to see it.

    Still waiting for SWTOR FTP, so I can finish my agent's story . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The panda starting zone is ok, I suppose. Everyone's treating it like the second coming or something, but I don't see it. To me it looks like the poor man's version of a TOR starting zone. But with less story.

      And more horrible character models.

      Pandaland Proper (Pandaria itself) is amazing though.

      Delete