Friday, January 18, 2013

Shit I Like About TOR

LOCK AND LOAD, SENTINELS!  Doesn't have the same ring, you know?  Maybe, UNHOOK AND INGITE, SENTINELS!

So, I'm rediscovering TOR because OH MY GOD IT'S BEEN SO LONG, right?  Seriously a few months off and I'm fiendin' like a crack whore at Darryl Strawberry's house.  Anyways, I'm excited about getting back into the game and I'm going to list why.  Because it's my blog and I can write what I want.  So eat it.

Proper Low Level PVP

This may be a function of me being a sentinel, but HOLY SHIT I AM OWNING YOU F2P NOOBS!  Holy crap!  It's like a goddamn Christmas miracle (or Life Day miracle ... available for only 2400 coins) except filled with blood and screaming and the QQ of the clueless!  I played some PVP on my Bounty Hunter the other day and JESUS CHRIST it's like the Killing Fields out there.  Ok, enough with the self-flagellating PVP screaming.  The low level PVP in TOR is fast-paced, fairly balanced (except for sentinels LOL), accessible, and most importantly ... FUN.  It's fun to play.  You're boosted up so you stand a chance; not a great chance, but a chance.  There's nothing like completely destroying someone you know is 25 levels higher because you have the preternatural ability to utilize brain cells to your advantage.  Strategy FTW.

STORY STORY STORY

Story kinda became an in-joke for a while with us because, well, you know ... story.  Story was in everything.  Story here.  Story there.  Story in my bathroom.  Story in my Wheaties.  Story.  But coming back to TOR from other games, you realize how important story is.  Like, for realsies.  Story is the linchpin for the entire game, holding together a harness of awesome upon which you can buckle various contraptions of greatness.  Ok, even I don't know that means but we'll guess that it's something totally sweet.  In all seriousness, what TOR's over-arching story does is tie the player to the narrative and make you care about the choices you make.  Granted, some choices are more shallow than others, but still, in the end the effect is ... uh ... effective.  Yeah.

Simple Things

Crafting from your bank.  Sending out companions on missions. Sending mail to cross-faction characters on the same account.  Ships (player housing of a sort).  Active combat with no auto-attack.  A regeneration ability (who eats food, I mean, really?).  An actual talent tree that is still fun to play with.  Legacy gear.  Mods.  Commendations.  Space missions (no, really, they're sorta fun in small doses!).  For a game that's "dead" and has "nothing to do" ... shit, there's a lot of stuff to do.  Who'da thunkit?

There's a ton more stuff I love about TOR (and some things I don't like either, to be fair).  For now though, it's like coming home again.  It's a wonderful feeling.  Oh, I still play other games too, like WoW and MechWarrior Online and Mount & Blade (that game is WTF crazy).  But TOR ... damn you TOR.  You wormed your way back into my heart!

3 comments:

  1. Lol, I'm glad you're back and having a good time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! You sound like you're enjoying being powerful . . . I agree on the story, though. I recently did a "free 10-day trial" on my retired WoW account, and I found I really missed the story elements of SWTOR, especially being able to change your response to something. (I got sooo tired of being told by pandas that I was evil or something, and I wanted to tell them, "Who made you all-wise over my life?") About the only aspect of WoW I truly missed which couldn't be found in SWTOR was fishing. Yep, fishing. I like fishing. (Oh, that and my old guild members, of course, but I'm focusing on the game, itself.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see SWToR put Arena style PvP in. You know the 2 or 3 man style. I love that brand of PvP

    ReplyDelete