Monday, July 6, 2015

... Minor Interruption in Service ...

Howdy!  Just wanted to let you guys know that here pretty soon, the old Imperial Intelligence will be taking a small break to welcome the newest little Agent into the fold.  My wife is expecting our second child any day now and we're (im)patiently awaiting her arrival.  Thusly, my MMO time may take a downward swing for a smidge.  Dunno why.  Stupid babies all taking up my time an' stuff.  Being a papa for the second time is a lot less stressful than I expected.  We sorta know the deal now and the unknowns don't scare us too bad.  At least, that's what I tell myself.

Just an update on what I've been doing when I haven't been assembling cribs and dressers and other manly husband things:


  • Inquisitor is still on Balmorra.  The reticence to play him is in full swing and not for the reasons most think (lulz dis gaem iz bayd); I am terrified of finishing my last class story and never being able to experience it 'for the first time' again.  It's unnerving how much I *don't* want this to be my last class story.  At this point though, it's been so dang long since I played my Agent that I may just make a new and do it all over again.  It'll probably feel pretty damn fresh to me!  That and the Warrior.  That may be my new plan.  The recent revelations that KotFE is going to ditch class story and continue forward with 'the Outlander' story only heightens my anxiety.  I guess at some point I'll need to swallow my fear, pick a main (oh god, that's even more anxiety), and go through Shadows of Revan.  GAH!  I'm paralyzed by choices!
  • FFXIV has its hooks deep in me.  This game is very refreshing and new.  Sure, there's a lot of MMO tropes in it; lots of fetch quests, gather things, kill things, etc.  The presentation is new and unique, though (at least to me).  I'm currently winding my way casually to a ninja; Pugilist 15 and Rogue 30 are required, so that's my long-term goal now.  What it really boils down to is this: Eorzia is just a very nice place to spend a few hours a week.  Eventually, I think the grind will get to me ... the cross-classing system has the potential to be a very, very big time-waster.  Maybe it won't be in a bad way though?  We'll see.
  • My WoW time runs out in 7 days.  I'll be brutally honest here; I don't have even the slightest urge to log in.  Patch 6.2's release did nothing to rekindle my interest in the game at the moment.  Another Timeless Isle zone that isn't as good as the Timeless Isle, a raid that looks interesting I guess but the arms race with mechanics in WoW fights is getting very old, and shipyards which are not garrisons but behave just like garrisons.  There's not a lot there to keep my interest, especially since my raid team blew apart and my friends moved to a different server.  Sometimes it does sound like I'm coming down very hard on WoW and I don't mean to, but it was my first real MMO (sorry, you don't count Puzzle Pirates!).  I'm very attached to the game and my characters, so when it takes a turn that I don't like I find myself being a bit disappointed (but not as vocal as this guy).  I will be interested to see what they bring out next, but a quicker cadence to expansion releases really just means you get less value per dollar; more xpacs, more $$$, less patches, less content (re: Warlords of Draenor).  For Blizzard to earn my entertainment dollars again, they'll need to show me something pretty spectacular ... elsewise, I'll just have to check it out when my time/budget allows.

Hopefully I'll be able to share the news of a new baby Targetess with ya'll soon!

2 comments:

  1. What an exciting news! Hope everything will go well & I'll be looking forward to your return already to hear the stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I knew that the "but not as vocal as this guy" link would lead to a HeelvsBabyface video before I even clicked it. :D

    Good luck with the new offspring!

    ReplyDelete